Monday, February 13, 2006

more book excitement

I couldn't get a good picture of the book cloth, but here is the lovely end paper:



My email is currently not working (damn IT) so what can I do but blog? The exciting news for today is that I got new bookbinding supplies in the mail. I really have to practice before I use any of it because it's all spectacularly beautiful. My favorite is some bookcloth that looks like linen and is a pale bluish-green (the color is called "endive" which is probably why I bought it). I also got some wicked cool decorative paper for end pages. Oh, and a very sharp knife that I will most likely cut myself on many, many times. I know you all probably don't care about any of this, but oh well. Later today, when I am at home with my camera, I will post pictures.

9 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

I too am email-less and that is pretty much a reason not to come to work for me, aside from having a shindig to get ready for. Luckily my Boy Scout training has paid off and everything is ready save putting it out.

Did you get fancy end paper? I can show you how to make some really fancy stuff (if I remember how from my Colonial Williamsburg days). It involves floating paint on water.

Lisa B. said...

I just ran into some instructions for marbling paper in an otherwise useless fashion magazine (but it came from the UK so it's OK!). It involved so many chemicals, etc., that I quailed. I have, however, saved the instructions for a braver day, perhaps this summer.

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I've tried marbling paper before; pulling a toothpick through colors floating on water is very relaxing. A lot of my designed ended up smeared when I transferred them to paper, though. But it's gorgeous when someone does it right!

Counterintuitive said...

And I too am email-less so I turned to next best thing--blogs. On the book thing, there is no braver day in me.

Dr. Write said...

where or where are the photos?

Lisa B. said...

Wow, beatiful. I might stay fixed in reverence at the paper and never use it to make a book. Gorgeous. I need to talk to you about your source!

lis said...

I do want to just stare at the paper. I'm so worried about ruining it. Oh well, I guess it wasn't so expensive. Anyway, the source is www.talasonline.com

Lisa B. said...

I am losing my mind, miss putatively unhip, as you have not blogged in days and days. What are you doing? Cooking? Eating? Watching reality TV? Taking naps? Bookmaking? (and by book making, I mean making books, not making book, as they say--). Do you get some sick pleasure out of all this withholding? Blog, for the love of god.

Condiment said...

AU has not blogged in about two years.