Monday, March 06, 2006

let's talk about race, baby

Ok, I know lisa b. already posted about this, but at least I'm posting! How is it possible that Crash won best picture? Was any character in that movie even remotely believable? Hi, I'm Matt Dillon and I'm the white bigot who despite my racist ideology can still be moved by human suffering. An entire movie of mouthpiece performance just doesn't work for me. I think the movie won because we acknowledge that it might benefit our culture to talk about race, to speak frankly about issues that we can pretend don't exist. But there's a difference between talking about race and talking about race with some level of integrity and believability. And then there's the improbability of the plot connections. Most of them I was willing to accept, but the plot line involving Thandie Newton and Terrance Howard strained believability: a couple gets assaulted by white police officers, then the wife gets in a major car accident (which husband seems totally unaware of) and gets rescued by white police officer A, then husband gets carjacked and gets rescued (essentially) by white officer B, who then later kills one of the carjackers. Come on. I had a disagreement about this with film prof. C who told me that I needed to be a little flexible, that this was a movie, not reality. But when the elements of a plot are entirely manipulated in order to assert an argument about race, the thing becomes polemical, not cinematic.

I am delighted, though, that the screenplay for Brokeback won. I was amazed by how well the screenplay matched the pacing of Proulx's story, an impressive feat for a short story, and a spare one at that.

My favorite John Stewart lines of the evening:
Walk the Line is Ray with white people.
It just got a little easier out here for a pimp.

I hope Johnny sticks with the Daily Show, though. I'm just not sure the Oscars is the right millieu for him.

10 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Let me be the first of what I am sure will be many who say: I am so glad you're posting!

I, too, found Crash less than believable, though I was reminded by the clips that there was plenty of good acting in this movie, just ham-handed writing. I was so disappointed that this film won.

lis said...

And I have to add one more thing, that I realized was at the core of what was bugging me as I talked about the film with Ron: Hollywood has this notion that they have the power to effect significant change in the culture (as evidenced by the silly montage on said topic--hello, The Day After Tomorrow?) And that's what bugs me about Crash--the notion that this silly movie with its improbable narrative and over-written script will somehow change our understanding of race in america, that this film is what we need to open the dialogue. Whatever.

middlebrow said...

I loved his follow up to the performance of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"! I haven't seen "Crash," and now I have no desire to. In other words, I believe you lis, I find you to be a credible reviewer. Thank you for saving me two hours of my life. No doubt I owe you.

Dr. Write said...

I too loved "I think it just got easier out here for a pimp." Also the Oscar tally: Martin Scorse (sp?)0, Three 6 Posse 1.
Good stuff.
also irritated re: Crash. But mostly because I think "Brokeback" was understated and beautiful. I take it Crash was not. Will now not rent it on principle. But what was I thinking, other best pictures, Titanic? Forrest Gump?
Why am I not surprised?

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I've already forgotten where I read this, but one critic proposed that Crash got the Oscar because the voters felt like they should choose for Best Picture a movie of social import to prove that they're sensitive and aware, when deep down they still don't like the idea of gay cowboys. Voting for Crash allowed them to look open-minded and concerned without actually having to support something they disapprove of even though they know they shouldn't. I haven't seen Crash, but I loved Brokeback. And did you notice that the first people that Ang Lee thanked in his best director speech were Annie Proulx and the screenwriters? Good for him.

Condiment said...

Crash is f***ing horrible. Watch Cronenberg's Crash instead. This is the most obnoxious Oscar decision since Raging Bull lost to Ordinary People.

lis said...

I know I shouldn't be surprised about the choice--lynn's right: Titanic. Clearly, the academy makes poor choices. I guess this one just bugs me more because it's not only a bad movie, but the win was all about the politicking.

lis said...

ok, I know I'm replying a lot to my own blog posting, but. . .
As if it wasn't bad enough that Crash won best picture, yesterday I got a call from Blockbuster telling me that because I had failed to return the stupid movie 7 days after it was due (oops, lost track of time), I know apparently own it. Yes, that's right. But don't worry--I'm going in tomorrow to get the refund and pay the restocking fee. Bugger.

Dr. Write said...

Just another reason to hate Blockbuster. Long live NetFlix!

Counterintuitive said...

great intersection of real life (late movie) and your online life--LOL (i've been told the capitalized version really means laughing out loud).

I'm sorry Crash won too and I haven't even seen any of the other films. I'm sorry mostly for Crash; I liked Crash but never would have picked it for an Oscar contender and now (see post and replies, etc.) it will get evicerated.

That's too bad because I enjoyed it; it reminded me of Grand Canyon. Now it must try to live up to all the film greats and it will never live up to the demands.