Sunday, January 29, 2006

in the church of johnny cash

Today, I was listening to a CD of Johnny Cash spirituals (the God cd of the Love, God, Murder box set which I borrowed from a friend--ok, ex-boyfriend--and don't want to give back, but I gave it to him, so it doesn't matter, right?) Anyway, while I would rather listen to Johnny Cash sing murder ballads than sing about god, the cd got me to thinking that if religion were just about Johnny Cash singing about sin and salvation I would go to church every damn Sunday.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I hear that. Can I get a witness!

Dr. Write said...

Omigod! I'm continually embarassing myself in class (yes, the ones I teach) by somehow relating everything to Johnny Cash. Last week it was "My Papa's Waltz" by Roethke, which is not too much of a stretch. But I said, "no man who had a happy childhood could have written Folsom Prison Blues." And I meant it!

middlebrow said...

You can start your own church. Of course, since you have Cash on cd, going to church simply means staying home in your sweats, drinking coffee, and listening.

lis said...

Yep, MB, that sounds about like my church. Not bad. But I should start my own. Sweats, coffee, Johnny Cash--who wouldn't join that?