Sunday, January 22, 2006

conscious dreaming

This morning, I woke up early. I read a bit and then I fell back to sleep. And then this happened:

I watched an episode of I Love Lucy , but it was in color. And Ricky was wearing a pink suit. And he was doing the laundry. And Fred Mertz wasn't Fred Mertz, but George Costanza.

And then I decided to make my bed. But when I pulled back the covers there was a pile of squirming black creatures that sort of looked like earthworms and sort of looked like centipedes. And I tried to vacuum them up, but they moved really fast and crawled under my floor boards and into the walls.

And then I was listening to RadioWest and the lights went out. And none of the lights in the house would turn on, but the radio was still playing. And it was dark outside. And then I realized I had forgotten to lock my door. And suddenly someone was trying to get in, I could hear him breathing outside, and I was trying to hold the door closed.

And then I woke up. And I started thinking about dreams, how convincing they can be, and how waking up after a bad dream is the most exhausing thing in the world. It's a curious thing how convincing they can be when they are so improbable. Why, when I am dreaming, can my rational brain not recognize that:

1. If the lights won't turn on, the radio won't be playing.
2. George Costanza is not Fred Mertz
3. Ricky Ricardo does not wear pink suits
4. Ricky Ricardo does not do the laundry
5. I do not make my bed

If I could realize these things, I would not have to wake up exhausted thinking that someone was trying to get into my house or that I Love Lucy had been remastered in color. Someone told me recently how he had taught himself how to dream consciously and how he had knocked out someone in a dream who was trying to harm him. I wish I could learn to do this.

4 comments:

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I do not make my bed either.

While I agree that it would be fascinating to control my dreams as I am dreaming them, I'm not sure I would want that power permanently. My dreams are often so inexplicable (though Ricky Ricardo has never appeared in them, in color or black and white), so "what the...." that I would miss that if I was directing them. I'll take the occasional creepy or scary one (like two nights ago, when I was reaching for a silver-sequined disco-ball clip-on earring that I wore in high school and ended up pouring a container of sparkly live mice all over me) if it means I get the freaky ones too. There's not always enough absurdism in my day-to-day life otherwise.

Clint Gardner said...

You've inspired Mid-B and me.

Lisa B. said...

I love hearing people's odd dreams. I remember a time when I felt I wasn't dreaming (I'm sure I was, but I felt I had no access to them), and I felt I was robbed of something really valuable.

Counterintuitive said...

all that bug stuff makes me think you are watching too much Fear Factor:)

I too just had a strange dream and I can't usually remember mine unless I consciously stay in bed and run through it in my mind. The essence of my dream was that I was following Aaron (new guy in dept) on his mt bike (he is a studly mt biker) up some trail and then he jumps off this huge cliff into some water. I hesitate, lose him and go through all kinds of setbacks: someone throws creamy salad at me, I lose my bike, I get lost in a maze of hallways (I have no idea why the trail turned into a hallway), I get laughed at... If only I'd been daring enough to jump off the cliff without hestation.