Friday, November 04, 2005

go see this movie!

Last night I finally saw New York Doll, the documentary about Arthur "Killer" Kane that I've been waiting to see since January, when I couldn't get tickets to any of the Sundance screenings. It's possible that a movie you've been waiting 10 months to see might ultimately prove disappointing, but this one did not. It was glorious.

The story itself is unbelievably charming and ironic (in the film Clem Burke from Blondie says how improbable it was for a New York Doll to become Mormon, like Donny Osmond becoming a New York Doll). I love the paradox of it and what a perfect narrative it creates--absolute symmetry. And there are more improbabilities, a story so perfectly constructed that you can't believe it's true. And Greg Whiteley does an amazing job highlighting the contrasts of Kane's life. Whiteley allows Kane to be both ridiculous and admirable. A fantastic moment is when Whiteley contrasts Kane describing his conversion as "an LSD trip from the Lord" and the Mormon bishop describing conversion as a warm feeling in your heart. Just look at the website, the contrasting images of the glam rocker and the nondescript white-shirted, middle-aged fellow--that says it all.

You need to see this movie. It's currently showing in NY, LA, and Salt Lake and will open elsewhere next week. I may be biased because I love the Dolls and I grew up Mormon, but even if you know nothing about the band (which the folks I saw the movie with didn't) you will still love it (which they did).

5 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

I listened to the RadioWest interview with the director and local glam/ punk rock experts yesterday as I drove to work. It's an amazing story.

One question: did you stay after the credits to see the lead guy of dolls (I forget his name) sing "Come, Come ye Saints"? If not you should listen to it on RadioWest--it's very cool.

middlebrow said...

I also listened to th RadioWest interview. Now Dr. Write and Middlebrow have secured a new babysitter. The chances are we can actually see this.

lis said...

Yes, I was at the RadioWest broadcast. Even better than the "Come, Come Ye Saints" was David Johansen singing "A Poor, Wayfaring Man of Grief." At the end of the credits, they play the full recording. I want to buy the CD.

Counterintuitive said...

I wondered if you had gone to it--lucky lucky. So, how about Doug? Not too bad lookin, eh?

lis said...

sigh. Doug Fabrizio. he's dreamy