Friday, August 05, 2005

my flashy new shirt

It's the rare shirt that deserves its very own blog post, but you have to see this beauty!


I think I may have a future career as a mannequin


To really appreciate this shirt, you have to see the detail:



Every flower has more than 80 sequins (I counted while impatiently waiting for the picture to load).

I don't know where I'm going to wear this thing, but I'll be happy it's in my closet (along with my red velvet pants)--just in case.

The best part of the shirt is how I got it. I saw it in the window of an antiques shop in Forest Grove, OR. But the store was closed. We went back the next day during posted business hours--still closed. I had to fly home the next morning, so no flashy shirt for me.

Well, this week lovely friend and colleague Jonathan (we were in Forest Grove for a conference) stops by my classroom with a Smith's grocery bag. I was in the middle of student presentations, so I looked at him quizically: "What's this?" "Later," he said. So, when all the students shuffled out, I dug into the bag. The shirt! J. had stayed in Forest Grove a day longer than me and went back to the antique shop. It was a delightful suprise--the highlight of the week, really. And it fits perfectly. Can you be fated to have a piece of clothing?

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

oh my god! That shirt is fantastic! Really, there are no words.

I think you should wear your shirt with your red velvet pants to my floor-warming party.

My answer to your question is: yes, you can be fated to have an item of clothing. I have stories. It is clearly your destiny to triumph magnificently in that shirt.

lis said...

lisa--I don't think I can wear the two together. I think that's an outfit for blankly shoving quarters into a slot machine. But I think the shirt can make an appearance. I'd love to hear your stories.

tara--I still have the Boy Crazy t-shirt, but it will never be worn again.