Monday, August 08, 2005

Farewell to Ibrahim Ferrer

I mentioned before on the blog how I love Ibrahim Ferrer, so I was sad to learn this morning that he died over the weekend.

When I saw Buena Vista Social Club, I developed a bit of a crush on Ibrahim Ferrer. He seemed so charming and humble. And then that voice--so rich and expressive. I was so happy when he started releasing solo albums. And I love that he was playful with his music--e.g. collaborating with Damon Albarn on Gorrilaz' "Latin Simone."

And his story, of course, is compelling. How he'd always been a singer, but because of changing tastes and politics he ended up shining shoes for a living. When BVSC came around, he said of the experience, "An angel came and picked me up and said, 'Chico, come and do this record.' I didn't want to do it because I had given up on music. But now I have my own record, my first one ever, so I'm very happy. I don't have to shine shoes anymore." What a lovely thing that a man who's clearly meant to make music gets a chance at age 70 to do it again.

No comments: