Thursday, June 23, 2005

in the realms of the unhip

nothing brings out the dorks like 80's night at a dance club. and if said club has a name like Port O' Call, you're really in trouble.

sigh. I--dork that I am--just got back from 80's night at said club (and believe me, the name fits). Too wired from all the synth-pop to go to sleep, so I thought I may as well blog.

My favorite part of the night: some guy who kept coming right up to me and my sister, then abruptly walking away (was he trying to decide which of us to address? thought we looked better far away than close up?).

The evening led me to several conclusions:


  • You can tell how old people are by the way they dance. People my age dance in a slow, long-armed sort of way. People just younger than me dance like they've been plugged in and are short-circuiting. People just younger than that mate on the dance floor.
  • Men who want to meet women at dance clubs typically say they've been sent on a mission for a friend (e.g."my friend wanted to meet you, but he's shy"; "my friend needs to learn a few dance moves")
  • Bucks Fizz's "I Hear Talk" is the best (forgotten) song of the early 80's
  • Bucks Fizz is a terrible name for a band

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I consider this a mini-ethnography of Port 'O Call, and I draw the following conclusion:

*I'm glad I've never gone there.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

lis said...

It's a good conclusion. And lest I be pegged as the Port O'Call type, I have to assert that I've only been there 3 times (and only because my sister's friend is the dj)

middlebrow said...

I've been there once, to watch a basketball game about three years ago. It was so loud that I couldn't hear the commentators. I had a terrible time. The conclusion: my love of basketball is as much aural and visual.

Still, 80s night sounds like fun. I might actually know some of the songs.

Condiment said...

My first visit to your worthy blog, Assertively U. It's never even occurred to me to use the "my shy friend thinks you're cute" gambit for my own designs. Does it work? I've only used this line while in Wingman Mode...and it actually works then, sometimes, amazingly enough. I think that I've been to this particular bar with Middlebrow, actually, and it really was fratty and awful.