Thursday, June 30, 2005

basecamp to adventure!

That is the tourism tagline for Blanding, Utah, which is where I'm headed for the 4th of July weekend, so I'm very excited.

Blanding is my dad's hometown. This year is the town's centennial and this weekend my dad's 50th high school reunion. So it's going to be a big family reunion/nostalgia fest (for my dad and his siblings, not so much for me). I will try to escape to hiking as much as possible (and the area around Blanding provides great hiking, thankfully).

Blanding is a funny place. It's small and sleepy and everyone knows everyone else. And even though I've never lived there and only visited a dozen or so times, the weekend will be filled with strange people coming up to me and declaring, "Oh, you must be LaMar's daughter."

I won't be blogging for several days, but I'll try to collect some good Blanding anecdotes for the return.

2 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

I once made a postcard that featured the Salt Flats. The text, which I scrawled across the top in my fanciest hand was "Welcome to Utah! Gateway to Nevada!" It amused my Eastern friends no-end.

I will be on the oposite side of Utah from you this weekend.

middlebrow said...

Dr. Write and Middlebrow will be in Park City, doing what I do not know.

Have fun.