Sunday, May 18, 2008

weekend wrap-up

ok, I know the weekend isn't over yet, but really all I'm going to do today is clean the house and run lame wedding-type errands. And enjoy the sun--finally!--in my tank top and flip flops.

The main outcome of the weekend is that I NEED to get a concertina. We went to living traditions last night and listened to this Irish band for a bit. We didn't like them too much, but one of them was playing a concertina which I have now decided I must have. I've found several on e-bay and a beginning instruction book. sigh. I will just have to wait until after the wedding and after the move, when I have cash to buy random things that I am certain will make my life better.

But, I did buy one random thing that is in fact making my life better. It was only like $15, so it's ok. We stopped by Starbucks in American Fork (it is hard to find Starbucks in the Happy Valley) and there was this cd, which I bought without thinking. It's a new wave compilation. Most of the songs I have on various cds, so I could probably have made the mix myself, but I didn't have Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" or Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love." I could have spent $2 on Itunes instead of the $15, but whatever. I'm listening to it now and it rocks and it will make house cleaning easier, if i ever get off of my computer and on to the cleaning.

The weekend was mostly about wedding stuff, which I am no longer stressing about. It's all but done, and it's going to be lovely. My sisters gave me a shower on Friday which all but one of my aunts and many cousins and even a couple of uncles came to. It was very sweet of them all to come and a bit overwhelming. I spent a lot of time explaining where we were getting married and why and who was marrying us. I'm one of a few of the kids who has not gotten married in the temple, or at least at a Mormon church by a Mormon bishop. They don't know what to make of me some times, which makes it all the lovelier that they all came to the shower. One of my uncles is perpetually begging me to come to the wedding (oh, the curse of the small wedding).

As part of our wedding chores, we stopped at Chocolatier Blue in Alpine, which if you haven't been to you must. They sell the chocolates at Caputos, but they're at least twice as much there and if you go to the Alpine shop and chat with Mr. Blue about how much you like his confections and chocolates in general he will give you free samples of delicious things. Like yesterday, he was telling us how Amedei is working with him to be the exclusive confectioner for their chocolate, which rocks my world. He had big hunks of couverture which they sent to him to experiment with. (he joked that someone was going to break into his shop for those; he shouldn't have said that because really, I was considering. . . ) He broke us off a couple of chunks and told us that when we pick up our wedding chocolates maybe he'll include a few of his Amedei experiments for us. yes, please. Anyway, if you like chocolate, his chocolates will make you cry. Just a little. Not in an embarrassing way, don't worry.


Finally, in other news, I got accepted to the PhD program. Tomorrow is the decision deadline. Any last words of advice, caution?

3 comments:

Dr Write said...

Yes! Go for the PhD. Or perhaps an advanced degree in Chocolate studies? I guess I need to go to Alpine....and the CD sounds great.
And congratulations on everything. So great!!

Counterintuitive said...

Good to hear from Unhip again--so much going on. Wish I had good advice; the older I get the less I have of this. I'm sure you will do well and find meaning in whatever you choose.

Ipsey said...

Hi, Lis!
I just decided to peek in on your blog from the 3-Tarts, from Sarah.
Congrats on your Ph.D. acceptance. Phil just finished his, and now we're looking for a job. (sigh) Have a ball with the impending nuptuals! Best to you in all endeavors.
Amy (Jones)