Friday, February 15, 2008

I just want to dance

Last weekend, I saw Step Up 2: the Streets twice, TWICE. I've been waiting for this thing since since December when I saw the preview before Sweeney Todd. I was beside myself with joy. My sister-in-law thought I was kidding. No. There's no joking about dance movies.

I'm pretty sure I've gushed about my love for the dance movie before, but this one is like the best ever. It feels like when I was a pre-teen watching Breakin' over and over all night long at a sleepover. Maybe the love is all about the "street" element of both movies. Yes, the street is always part of the dance movie, but usually the street gets citified with polished ballet moves. Whatever. In both Breakin and Step Up, the streets win baby. I was so into Breakin' that I took some breakdancing classes. Sadly, I've got no sick moves.

It's decidedly silly this love I have for dance movies, but I just can't help it. Step Up had both ridiculous ("we call it a battle but what are we fighting for") and hilarious ("hey, this ain't high school musical"). The romance was silly. The dancing was amazing. I so wish I could move like that, but I'm lucky if I can walk through a parking lot without running into a car mirror.

"For the break of your life! Push it to pop it! Rock it to lock it! Break it to make it!"

3 comments:

Dr Write said...

I'm with you. After I saw "Footloose" I thought I could be a dancer. My friend said, "I think it's too late." I think I was 16. What-evah.
But just wait, the 80s bridal shower is coming and we are going to show our moves, sistah.

Lisa B. said...

I am so happy to know that you saw this movie before I did, and that you loved it. I will now go to this movie without fail. I loved! the first Step Up movie, partly because that Channing Tatum kid was just so very beautiful, but I love the dance movie very, very much. Even stupid movies, if there's dancing, rock the house.

lis said...

lisa b., this one is so, so much better than the first Step Up. You must see it.

And dw, I will be dancing at the 80s bridal shower. don't you worry.