Thursday, January 31, 2008

stuff I love

i'm finally answering lisa b's call to declare three things I love. So, for today:

sky: I love watching the sky, any kind of sky (oh, except that gunky yellow mid-winter, SL inversion sky, which luckily we are short on this year). I prefer the daytime sky to the nighttime sky. I want clouds and sun and movement. Yes, sky.

this new cd of underground post-punk music from China: it's called Look Directly Into the Sun. I heard about it on Fresh Air. it rocks and I will be listening to it incessantly for the next few days.


my voice: i am voiceless today, so i am thinking about how much I love to talk and teach and call people on the phone. voices are amazing--the way we can recognize a person by voice, the way we can tell how someone is feeling or maybe even what they are thinking just by slight tonal differences. a couple of years ago, when we canoed the Green River we ran into a group that planned to paddle for seven days in silence. I think that's stupid. Silence is good of course, in some circustances, but seven days without the sound of a voice misses all that's beautiful in the sound of a human voice.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

What a wonderful list. I too love sky, and have to restrain myself from taking pictures of the sky (at least, from taking a zillion pictures of the sky, since I already do take plenty of skypics!). And new music? I love that too.