Sunday, January 07, 2007

how I spent my christmas vacation



I may not have been to Spain or Scotland, but I did briefly escape from the valley and the smog (which today, thankfully, gloriously has disappeared).

First to a yurt in the Uintas (Lily Lake) for Christmas. This included 5 1/2 miles of cross-country skiing with a backpack which is an impressive feat for a girl who had never put on a pair of skis until this winter (and who desperately hates winter).

Cross-country skiing is pretty fun and winter camping is made tolerable with wood floors, canvas walls, and a stove.

For New Year's, we cruised off to Vegas, but stayed totally out of Vegas (except for a trip to Trader Joe's) . I detest Vegas and have know realized that the only way it is worth seeing is from a Sandstone peak miles away in Red Rocks. We camped, we hiked, we climbed (well, mostly Will climbed. I was kind of in a wimpy mood). On New Year's eve, we fell asleep at 8:30, but we did wake up for three subsequent countdowns (couldn't they have coordinated a little?) in the campground and some ill-advised fireworks. It was, I think, the best New Year's I've ever had.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Wow, amazing story! I'm so glad to hear it, as I began to despair, thinking perhaps you had run off with Daniel Craig, who, let's face it, just isn't as good as Will. Come on.

A yurt--just saying 'yurt'--rocks! And I'm with you, totally, about Vegas. It is a hell.

Counterintuitive said...

You've inspired me to get out in the woods this next x-mas break. I think it would cleanse one of all the Christman gluttony or at least help a bit.

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Lovely photo of the mountains!

Dr. Write said...

Glad it was fun! Be glad you are not suffering jet lag, as we all are now.
Sounds like a good New Year's Eve.