Wednesday, September 07, 2005

pop a top

My dad (who spent much of his career as a substance abuse counselor) told me once that it was a good thing I didn't drink because I'd probably be an alcoholic. He doesn't remember telling me this and he feels guilty about it, but I always wonder what he was trying to get at. He wasn't saying this to scare me straight. I was well into adulthood and I'd already established a clear pattern of non-drinking behavior. I mean, I had a party in February and there's still a six-pack in my fridge. And I can't think of any other particularly addictive habits I have. There's the coffee, but even that's pretty restrained.

So I'm not a drinker, but I love drinking songs. It doesn't really matter who the artist is--if the song's about drinking, chances are I'll love it. I've never been able to figure out why I like drinking songs so much. Maybe it's because my dad is right and I have some inner alcoholic, who's hollering amen and waiting for the next round.

You can check out CMT's list of the top 40 drinking songs here I'm not sure "Friends in Low Places" should be #1, although it is the song I most want to sing karaoke.

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

My aunt once told me she thought I would make a great chain-smoker, but I took it as a compliment.

Lisa B. said...

Also, regarding drinking songs, may I say that I love Lowell George's "Willin'," with its chorus

*******
And I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari,
Tahachapi to Tonapah.
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made,
driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed.

And if you give me weed, whites, and wine,
and you show me a sign
I'll be willin' to be movin'.
*****

If you need me to, I'll sing it for you.

lis said...

oh, I definitely want to hear you sing it lisa.

on your comment tara, my mom had an erma bombeck book that was called Motherhood, the Second Oldest Profession. I asked her what the first one was and she also claimed not to know.

Dr. Write said...

Yes! "Jose Cuervo, You are a Friend of Mine" (I like to drink you with a little salt and lime) is a glaring omission. Like most lists, that one suffers from too many recent songs and not enough old ones. My favorite is "Give me two steps" maybe not a drinking song, but it does mention Boise, Idaho and a bar. Okay, my other favorite is "Up against the wall Redneck Mothers" (or is it brothers? or is it a swear word?"
Anyway, a great topic!

Clint Gardner said...

Why is that country singers get away with singing about substance abuse so easily and no one bats an eye, but you have some alt or rock band sing about substance abuse and their corrupting kids?

Counterintuitive said...

Because country is God Bless America: angels, a boot up your ass, and Amen.