Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I need new shoes!

I know women are supposed to love shoes or something like that, but not me. I'd rather not wear shoes at all. When I go into a shoe store I usually leave crying. There are no shoes that I like. They are all too high or too shimmery or adorned with too much frippery. Or they are too frumpy. Can't there be something in between? I hate buying shoes so much that I usually just keep wearing the same pair until they fall apart, which happened today.

At some point during my day, I felt a flip, flip on the side of my foot and looked down to find the sole of my shoe falling off. I went barefoot (well, I was wearing tights) for my afternoon class and tossed the shoes into the garbage. I have other shoes, but they are all falling apart in some way or another. I have a pair of boots that I've had for 10 years. The soles are falling off, even though I've had them "repaired" at least twice. I love them, though, and will never get rid of them. I have a pair of too-big flip flops that belonged to Will's ex-girlfriend. It's a desperate situation.

So if anyone knows where I can get a pair of shoes that are decent looking, but not too girly or flashy please let me know. Maybe we can schedule a group shoe-buying excursion like we had in Chicago for Jason. I need help too! Please, it's almost winter.

9 comments:

Lisa B. said...

My goodness, my goodness. Desperate times call for desperate measures. You could go to one of those Sole Outdoors (is that what they're called?) stores, where they have all sorts of comfortable shoes and at least some of them are cute. Also, have you not gone to DSW? Because they have everything. I found a pair of Pumas at T.J. Maxx that I almost bought until I remembered that, hello, I already have too many shoes, but those were super cute, very comfy, and no frippery. Just sleek design and that, my dear, is what you are all about.

lis said...

what is DSW?

Dr Write said...

Yes. DSW! They have everything, Born, Simple.
Or REI for Keene's. I love Keene's.

Lisa B. said...

DSW=Designer Shoe Warehouse. Located out on Fort Union Blvd, right off the 215, pretty much. It is a mecca of shoes.

middlebrow said...

I think you should go the way of the Hobbit. If you continue to go barefoot, you will eventually develop tough, leathery soles.

Other benefits include:
--wise and worldly, wizard friends
--opportunities to carry evil rings across the known world to places like Mordor, New Zealand, and Orem
--lots of Hobbit snack breaks

Or you can just to go DSW

Lisa B. said...

Shoe update? I'm worried--it snowed this weekend.

tara said...

You people have snow? It's still 80 degrees here in D.C. Which would be fine, except I love shoes just a little too much and I want to wear my new boots and it's still too hot.

I second the Keens love.

lis said...

I can't go to DSW because it's in Ft. Union and every time I go to Ft. Union area I get lost--no joke. The other day I was trying to find the County Library offices in Ft. Union and I was heading in the wrong direction, but got saved by the sighting of a county library truck which I followed to my destination.

I did get shoes, simple go-with-everything mocassins/ loafers with contrasting stitching and a buckle. Cute, but maybe not too comfortable. Although that may be because I hurt my feet with my running shoes which also need to be replaced.

susansinclair said...

I've turned into one of those wimps who finds one brand that's comfy and buys a bunch. I have Keen envy. I want some. Maybe for spring...some lavender mary janes...yeah...