Tuesday, August 15, 2006

a usage puzzle

You know those times when a certain word or phrase keeps popping up, as if the phrase wants to get noticed, has been feeling a little neglected, underappreciated. Recently, that phrase for me has been, strangely enough,"salty dog."

Usage #1: Recently I was listening to American Routes and Spitzer played a version of "The Salty Dog Blues," noting that "salty dog" was slang for a certain--ahem--oral activity.

Usage #2: Then, while visiting Friday Harbor, W. referred to some students returning from a seabound research trip as "salty dogs."

A few usages I don't want to think about: This led us to look for a defininitive defintion, including a trip to urbandictionary.com which provided some disturbing, yet amusing, alternative definitions. Not exactly what Spitzer was suggesting (far, far dirtier), but in the same direction.

It's not just me who wonders what this phrase means: Yesterday, while waiting for my iced coffee, one of the baristas referred to a customer as a "salty dog." Then she asked, "What does that mean? Is that dirty?" Someone suggested the sea-worn and ragged connotation, but there was still the lingering question.

So, you smarties, what's your take on "salty dog"? If we take "Salty Dog Blues," there's clear evidence for usage #2: "Standin on the corner with the low down blues/
Great big hole in the bottom of my shoes/ Honey let me be your Salty Dog." But with a bit of imagination, you can understand the logic of usage #1.

Anxiously waiting for your guesses, arguments and usage examples.

6 comments:

Dr. Write said...

The dirty definition makes me want to gag when I think of the cocktail known as a salty dog: grapefruit juice and vodka served in a glass with a salted rim.
EWWWWW!

lis said...

oh yes, I forgot about the cocktail. Sorry to ruin your enjoyment of the drink.

Lisa B. said...

The dog, he is salty.

Mr. Dog, salt becomes you.

Please to remember: do not leave before salting the dog.

Do it doggie style. No, make that salty style. Okay, salty doggie style.

I only use French doggie salt.

Uh, can't help you with the usage issue, sorry.

lis said...

that's ok, at least you've entertained me.

Counterintuitive said...

Interestingly no men ventured any usage ideas . . . and I'll keep that tradition going.

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

I'm not sure that I have ever uttered the phrase "salty dog" in my life, not at a bar, not on a boat, not in a bed, not with a goat.

But speaking of "American Routes," KUNC just took it off their Saturday afternoon lineup, darnit. Now I have to clean the house to "The Thistle and Shamrock." Just not the same. Fiona Richie will never play salty dog songs.