Thursday, May 25, 2006

finally, summer

Sorry for the blog absence--I've been trying to wrap up the semester (responding to complaints about B's! for god's sake and explaining to a plagiarist why she failed my class) and playing (a backpacking trip to Coyote Gulch and a trip to the Mike the Headless Chicken Festival--which included mountain biking and some competitive eating). Oh, and I have been watching the disappointly dull final episodes of American Idol. So, now I think I've created enough distance from the academic year to start thinking about summer and what I'll actually do with my time. Of course at the end of the summer, I will feel that I didn't do enough, that I wasted my time, but I will feel rested and that's all that really matters.

And I am definitely off to a good start with resting and wasting my time--yesterday I didn't get out of bed until 11! I think my first task of the summer is to generate some ambition. Maybe the blog will give me some motivation to think interesting thoughts so I don't bore you all with a summer of sleeping in and trips to the farmer's market (which is all I really want to do). My other summer intentions include reading a book a week, writing (actually writing, not pretending to write), changing curriculum for the fall, making books, hiking, watching season five of Six Feet Under. I feel that I need more ambitions, but who am I kidding?

2 comments:

Dr. Write said...

Those sound like very lofty goals. Middlebrow is already chiding me about how paranoid I am that, at the end of the summer, I'll feel like I didn't get enough done. Isn't that always the way, though? How do we avoid this end of the summer guilt fest? How?

Lisa B. said...

Plenty of good ambition there, Ms. Unhip. Thank God you've blogged again. I was beginning to despair.

I will look forward to seeing you at the market, and maybe we should have a party where everyone brings something splendid to eat and we can talk about the sleeping in and the farmer's market.