Thursday, April 06, 2006

please don't pray for me.

Last night, as I fell asleep, I was absentmindedly saying a prayer. This is something I often do, largely I suppose out of habit. But as I was thinking my trivial prayer (something about wanting good weather for an early drive to the airport), I started analyzing the efficacy of the praying. (and for whatever it's worth, while the weather today is horrible, it did not start snowing until after I returned from the airport).

Once upon a time when I was a devoted Mormon, I believed that even if my praying didn't get results, at least someone was listening. Now that I am not a devoted Mormon, I never know whether to think A) that someone is listening, and occasionally answering; B) that no one is listening or C) that someone is listening, but not answering me because I am no longer a devoted Mormon (and thus no longer in on the deal).

Because I have this complicated relationship with prayer (and with religion in general), I've been fascinated with the recent release of the big prayer study, wherein it was revealed that intercessory prayer provided by religious strangers has a slightly negative to no effect on post-surgery complications for cardiac patients. The problematic commentary following this study provides ample evidence, I think, to convince my students that addressing religious issues with empirical means really doesn't work (but that's another story altogether). Various articles have asserted that it's not prayer that's at issue, but the study itself: (on Yahoo: "Scientists fail to show. . ."). If those silly scientists would just do things right.

I loved this article in today's Slate where William Saletan details what we can learn about god from this study.

2 comments:

Dr. Write said...

First, thanks for blogging. I'm going through withdrawals and if people don't step up, there are going to be consequences!

I love this study! And also the column at Slate. I like some of his interpretations, such as God is malevolent.
My explanation is that, if there is a god, god has other priorities. As I was just saying to Allison, if he hasn't intervened in Sudan, he probably isn't going to for your measley heart surgery.

Lisa B. said...

(A) This post is a perfect example of why I miss it when you don't blog.

(B) Why does anyone want to do this study? This reminds me of those big archaeological expeditions in Central America which try to prove the Book of Mormon is true through artifacts. Oy. Can't a faith-related thing be true because, for whatever reason, it helps you to be a better person?

I retain a spot in my heart and mind that wants to pray and finds it efficacious for something. But clearly not saving surgical patients' lives.