Saturday, July 16, 2005

Harry Potter and the Curse of Hype

I swore I wouldn't buy the new HP. As I declared to lisa b. last night, the last book was tediously long and Rowling's editor needs to reign her in. And it's not like I don't already have a dozen books stacked by my bed, waiting to be read.

But I caved. Maybe it was the kids at the farmer's market sporting HP glasses. Or maybe it was all the folks on my children's lit listserv talking about the arrival of their books and their HP parties. Or maybe it's just that, despite myself, I really do want to know who the half-blood prince is. Whatever the catalyst, I caved to the hype. Now I have it--all 650 pages of it.

It was funny being at the bookstore today: a group of kids on the way in, arguing whether there would be any left ("they ordered billions," one declared. "it's not a problem); the near sense of awe as people approached the display--"there it is"; the adults hidden away in corners, devouring the thing. I can't imagine what the midnight release parties must be like.

I feel a bit ridiculous buying it, especially since I was so displeased with the last one. But, if you've read 5 you may as well read all 7. And besides, if you teach children's lit, you're almost obligated to read it, right?

7 comments:

Dr. Write said...

There's something strangely compelling and reassuring about kid's lit. When I was in B&N the other day I found myself reading _Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants_. . .and liking it! I want to see the movie and I feel like I should read it first. I also found myself at a party talking to a young kid, trying to get caught up on HP just in case I wanted to read the new one. I'm one behind. But I liked reading the others (mostly for the fact that I could read such a fat book in such a short amount of time!), and now I feel like I should catch up. But Son will be on the HP train soon enough. There's time. It's making me a bit nostalgic for the first time I read, say, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (coming soon to a theater near you!) or A Wrinkle in Time. Ahh, the good old days!

Clint Gardner said...

Harry who?

Actually I felt the same needling excitement when I saw the latest Nick Horby book was out. I didn't admit to it, of course, but maintained my stoic appearance as I nabbed the last copy of A Long Way Down off the shelf.

Counterintuitive said...

I hope it's not required because I'm teaching children's lit and I ain't buying or reading. Now, my son on the other hand...

lis said...

you better start reading, ron. I'm telling you--you're children's lit street cred. is at risk.

welcome to blogland, by the way. I thought your were just posting, but saw your blog today.

lis said...

I agree, Lynn, children's lit is reassuring. For many reasons, including that fact that you can read so many pages so quickly. Although I'm having a rough time with the new HP. I'm up to page 40 and I've realized that I can't remember what happened in book 4 (which I don't own, so I can't review). Sigh, I guess I'll figure out what's going on soon.

Lisa B. said...

I bought a copy (2, actually, as there are many folks in my immediate household and the satellites thereof who'll want to read it). And I've now read and finished it. Ms. Unhip, I think I can categorically state that this one is better than the last--leaner and with a bunch of suprises I didn't see coming. Ron, what is the matter with you? Read the damn books.

Counterintuitive said...

I have read *some* Harry Potter, about 3 pages every 30 or so pages throughout the first three book (my son wanted to get through them so badly that when he tired of reading he would beg me to read him a few pages). As a so-called history teacher who bragged about not having read a book in 20 years often said, "I will watch the movie." Actually I don't like the movies either but I will ask my son to summarize the essential plot and maybe share a good line or two if he can find one:)