Monday, May 23, 2005

Idol Mania

I will be watching a lot of American Idol this week--too much, really. It's the finale, so finally we will have our new prince/ princess of pop. This the week that I realize how much time I've wasted the past six months listening to amateurish bubblegum pop. *sigh* But it was worth it. I figure I'm just making up for not fawning over teen idols when it was age appropriate.

Now that the show is wrapping up, I can get back to the music I should be listening to:

The Smiths--and when I say the Smiths, I don't mean Morrissey. What can really beat that too-brief nirvana of Johnny Marr and Morrissey? I recently saw an interview with Morrissey. Commenting on the far too soon break-up of the band, he said (referring to Johnny Marr): "I don't know how he lives with himself." Honestly I don't know either.


The New York Dolls: I liked these guys in high school, but had sort of forgotten about them (shameful) until the recent Sundance documentary about bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane. I haven't seen the movie yet, but apparently a distributor has picked it up and it should be out in the Fall. So, here's the story (too bad VH-1 didn't jump on this one): Kane, after his brief glam rock glory became a Mormon. With his new found faith, he continuously prays to get back together with the band. Which, thanks to Morrissey (who, as a lad, was president of the Dolls' UK fan club), happened at the Meltdown Festival. They (reportedly) killed. I'm so charmed by the idea of a glam rocker turned Mormon whose only wish is to revisit the glam days. Sadly (but somehow fitting with the story) Kane died shortly after the reunion. Regardless of the great story, you must listen to this band. I will love them forever for bringing back the 3-minute pop song.

Kelly Joe Phelps: I'm still always amazed that he's white. He's too much for words, really. Great lyrics, mellow raspy voice, amazing slide guitar. If you ever get the chance to see him live, go. Even if you've never heard him, go. Even if you don't like Blues, go.

2 comments:

middlebrow said...

Welcome to the SLCC blogosphere. I see you've expanded your original entry.

You see how satisfying it is to get instant feedback. Much better than academic writing.

Is "American Idol" assertively unhip or tragically unhip? Can one assert tragedy? Anyway, you must elaborate on the ethos of assertive unhipness. We, your reader(s) need examples.

Clint Gardner said...

I don't remember where I read or heard some report on the NY Dolls movie. It was interesting.

Your paradox of American Idol and such music is very hip! (And you have the nerve to call yourself unhip!)

Just kidding. If you made videos about Wookies, then you would be too hip for hep.

(See I'm so unhip, I never know when one punch line is enough.)